What is Deep Oscillation(R) massage?
In contrast to externally applied, mechanical forms of massage therapy, (e.g vibration), the therapy effect of Deep Oscillation(R) takes place in the tissue itself and works through the entire depth of the tissue. This causes deep oscillation to be especially gentle and makes it an unmatched treatment alternative for fresh trauma, postoperative, for acute pain and in the area of open wounds.
It is important to understand that the therapy does not produce heat and it does not electrically stimulate the therapist or the client.
How does Deep Oscillation(R) work?
Deep Oscillation(R) Personal comprises the following –
- A small battery operated fully mobile hand sized unit – like an oversized “Ipod”, guaranteeing flexible use. The blue graphic display on the unit, together with single button operation, guarantees very easy program selection and a good overview.
- A chip card provides pre-programmed treatments, normally consisting of different treatment sections at various frequencies, as well as informative therapy notes.
- The therapist is attached to the unit through a small self adhesive electrode and thin vinyl gloves are also worn.
- The pulses are selected within frequencies ranging between 5 to 200 Hz.
The therapist works with the horse (or other animal requiring treatment) by applying the Deep Oscillation(R) treatment through a hand held massage pad that is attached to the unit. The therapist should wear vinyl gloves on both hands and, whilst one hand holds the massage pad, the other free hand can deliver additional massage.
Delivering Deep Oscillation(R) through the massage pad –
The Physiopod and massage pad displayed by Stef, Dusty and Evey –
The electrostatic pulses create pleasant, deeply effective oscillations in the tissue. This has directly trophic-enhancing, muscle-relaxing and anti-inflammatory effects. Swellings and oedema are absorbed much more quickly, pain is subdued. Wound healing is stimulated.
Why use Deep Oscillation(R)?
As mentioned previously, the therapy is deeply penetrating, working through all the tissue layers; skin, connective tissue, sub-cutaneous fat, muscles, blood and lymph vessels penetrating up to a depth of 8-12 cm.
The electrostatic field created enables a constant action of attraction and release of the tissue, completely “kneading” the targeted area, dividing, compressing and pumping out to the lymph system the excess metabolic by products for removal.
Lymph flow is then more efficient, enabling the swift transportation of healing nutrients to the area, reducing swellings and pain and stimulating / accelerating the natural healing process. Regeneration times are subsequently reduced.
Key benefits –
- Can promote faster healing
- Gentle and relaxing
- Reduces pressure on the therapist’s hands
- Can reduce treatment times
- A highly effective treatment for pain
- Reduces swelling and bruising and can reduce scarring
- Can improve mobility and sensitivity
- Removes excess inflammatory by-prodicts, fluid build-up and protein solids from the tissue
It is important to note that the following method of applying the Deep Oscillation(R) massage to a horse or other animal is not the preferred safe method approved by Physiopod UK –
Like many massage therapists, Stef likes to use both hands to deliver a massage and has used her own horse, plus a quiet horse owned by a supportive friend and client, to deliver deep oscillation(R) massage through gloved hands rather than a massage pad.
As well as the electrode attached from the Pod to the Therapist, this method of applying the massage requires a second electrode to be attached to the animal from the mobile Pod unit, not an easy task and currently not recommended by Physiopod UK as a normal method of application.